Aug 4, 2011


August 1
So i arrived in matala today at about 2 pm and rocked up to the archelon campsite. Its pretty small and very sandy its really hard to walk up the hill cuz i keep sliding backwards in the sand. Everyone here seems really nice, there are about 10 other people here so its a nice small group. I hung out for a bit and met everyone and then went down to the beach for a swim to cool off as its very very hot here. The sea is gorgeous and its right by these ancient caves that you can climb up to explore. The camp is right on the mediteranean sea so thats pretty sweet. After the swim i went back to camp for dinner and then got a brief overview of what im on the schedule for over the next few days. Then went down the road to a bar for a pool party which was pretty fun and then from there we went to another place called hakuna matada where you can go upstairs and have this amazing view of the water and the caves that are lit up at night. After a bit of dancing we went back to camp for some much needed rest.

August 2
Aargh, woke up early due to my tent being a sauna, it was so gross and so hot! Couldnt even deal just got up and went straight to the showers. Went into town for some breakfast and then some swimming. The waves were so big today I spent a bit of time trying to swim against the waves that was quite the workout. Then just hung out at camp for a bit and wrote some postcards, while i waited for my shift in the kiosk to start. I have the later shift from 5~830 then back to camp for some vegetarian dinner. I guess august will be a vegetarian month which is probably okay since i had like 5 kebabs in like three days in athens. So the shift at the kiosk was good it was really slow and no one wanted to talk to us but then in the last half hour we slod like 9 pendants and a t shirt and some donations. It was a bit slow going trying to araise public awareness and trying to remember what to say. Im sure it will get easier though. Tomorrow i think i have to go watch the slideshow that we give for the public cuz i think i'll be doing that next week.

August 3
Worst day ever first i made an attempt to run from the coffee shop where we were watching the volleyball tournament and i burnt the bottom of my toes. So now i have three blisters on the bottom of three toes on each foot. Then when i got back to camp i found my tent had been shattered from the wind and one of the poles was broken in half. My brother is going to kill me. After that i had cooking duty and i sliced two of my fingers while cutting the vegetables. That also means i didnt have time to fix my tent before dark. So now i have six blistered toes and two hurting fingers and no tent and i have my first morning survey tomorrow at 530 am. So all in all not super great but alas tomorrow is a new day and hopefully it will be much better. I will hopefully see some hatchlings tomorrow, fix my tent, watch men as volleyball doubles, and just generally feel better about everything tomorrow.
so after walking 3 kms I found out I was at the wrong bus stop and would have to walk another 6 kms to get to the right one but the trip was all sold out so I could only get the bus tomorrow sooo since it was already about 7 I decided to get a room in heraklion and deal with the bus in the morning. So I checked into the El Greco Hotel and then showered all the gross sweat away and walked around the city center. I went to see the old venetian wall,and just walked around the village and explored before going back to the hotel for my long day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment